The Junk Food of Writing

Friday, December 02, 2005

Happy belated birthday, Allen Stewart Konigsberg

Yes, yes -- Woody Allen turned 70 yesterday. He now joins the ranks of such esteemed septuagenarians as, ummm, other brilliant artists who are between the ages of 70 and 80.

"I don't want to gain immortality through my work. I want to gain immortality by not dying."

Stay strong, Woody.

Today is a day that nebbish and neurotic New Yorkers should rejoice! (as should those who are fans of alliteration). In celebration of this fantastic feat of stamina, I will rank of Woody's films that I have had the pleasure (or displeasure) to have seen. They are not ranked within grouping.

The masterpieces:
Annie Hall
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Manhattan

The very, very good Wood:
Husbands and Wives
Hannah and Her Sisters
The Purple Rose of Cairo

His best early, funny ones:
Sleeper
Love and Death

Good Wood:
Sweet and Lowdown
Everyone Says I Love You
Stardust Memories
Zelig
Bananas

The serviceable Woody:
Take the Money and Run
Bullets Over Broadway
Interiors
Mighty Aphrodite
Another Woman
Deconstructing Harry
Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex*
Small Time Crooks

Woody's missteps:
Anything Else
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Melinda and Melinda
September

4 Comments:

  • You are too hard on "Melinda and Melinda" (let's just forget about Will Ferrell when I make that statement). Radha Mitchell, Nick. RADHA MITCHELL.

    I plan to see "Crimes and Misdemeanors" on my upcoming break. If it's up there with "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan" for you, then I have to.

    By Blogger Yaseen Ali, at 3:46 PM  

  • Shit! High Art has been sitting atop my Netflix queue for such a long time. I need to watch one of my Netflix films and send it back.

    By Blogger Nick M., at 5:01 PM  

  • i liked anything else!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 PM  

  • Oh, dear Arley, there are very few films which are as annoying as Anything Else.

    By Blogger Nick M., at 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home