The Junk Food of Writing

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Lost in the Supermarket

I haven’t had much time to think lately. The most time I have had recently was today, when I was in Whole Foods (which was a temporary hiatus from my double-digit-paged essay). A fastidious woman, who was just a high heel under 5 foot, stood in front of the waffle freezer (my destination) and took over 2 minutes to find the organic waffles she wanted. I stood behind her rather patiently for a bit over two full minutes; I know this because I started to count after it seemed as if a minute had elapsed. This was undoubtedly amusing, and the wait, shockingly, never bothered me. I doubt she noticed me – she seemed rather lost in the perfectly stacked boxes of frozen breakfast foods, which she made sure to casually disorganize after reading the fine print on every box. This brief time (which felt much longer, since I was inertly standing…and waiting) was strangely calming, though; it was very, very refreshing. This week of final projects has really made my head spin, and it will continue to until the 20th. So thank you, Miss short, nutrition-fact-checking lady. And god bless you for obliviously knocking over a sign and deciding that none of the waffles were for you.

4 Comments:

  • Well, that was very good of you to wait for her so patiently. I admit that if I were in that same situation, there would be no shortage of foot stompings and irritated throat-clearings.

    It's even worse because I am notorious in my circles for checking labels, searching for hidden trans-fats and tsk-tsking at the high sugar contents.

    By Blogger Yaseen Ali, at 7:14 PM  

  • Hey, bro - I like your new digs.

    This story reminded me of a guy taking ten minutes (no joke) at a CoinStar! machine the other day. I figured he had to have cashed in $100 or more, so I snuck a peek: $27. He had bags and bags of change, but it must have been all pennies. Cracked me up, though.

    Anyway - just wanted to pop in and see how you're doing (this is Mahab from RT, by the way). Good luck with the new blog!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 AM  

  • Hey Greg, nice to see you around.

    You have quite a sophisticated website there. How did you manage to attain your own html?

    By Blogger Nick M., at 1:43 PM  

  • I actually taught myself HTML back in the day (we're talking 1995), so I coded it all myself. I found some insanely cheap hosting, registered the domain name, and away I went. Getting to the current design was about a year in the making, but I'm pretty happy with it.

    I just wish I knew more advanced code, so that I didn't have to manually update everything when I post a new review.

    Glad you like it, though - I appreciate the kind words.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home