The Junk Food of Writing

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Big Brother is Watching You.

Caveat: this entry may frighten old men.




I'm downright terrified of most new technology. I do, however, admit to being somewhat dependent on certain advances in technology; I cannot imagine a life without the internet, AIM or my iPod. Everything else, however, chills my postmodern bones. The most recent fright I endured was at my aunt and uncle's house for Easter. I walked into the kitchen to fetch a drink and grab some hors d'oeuvres, and as I turned around I was greeted by a black and white television -- which my 15-month-year-old twin cousins appeared on. Apparently, baby moniters aren't enough -- so they (a very vague 'they') have a survellience camera planted in the corner of the childrens' bedroom. Let me clarify: this 20" moniter is sits on a counter in the middle of the kitchen. Orwell must have rolled in his grave as I ran from the kitchen. Later on that night I asked my sister to make my dinner plate for me.

6 Comments:

  • interesting... and you chose to write about this on big brother's super highway of tracked information!!! ahhh!

    By Blogger Ó Seasnáin, at 1:22 AM  

  • You know, the cameras aren't a bad idea at all IMO. What's the big difference between these and baby monitors? It would only get creepy if your aunt and uncle kept this up after their kids pass the age of six or so. Then it would be a little much.

    By the way, maybe you can help me. I'm considering buying an iPod, but I've heard horror stories from many people about broken hard drives and frozen screens. Would you recommend a buy (i.e. are you happy with yours?), or should I stick to some cheapo mp3 player?

    By Blogger Yaseen Ali, at 8:06 PM  

  • P.S. - I'm glad you've come around on Huckabees. Have YOU ever transcended time and space?

    By Blogger Yaseen Ali, at 2:19 PM  

  • Nick, don't be too lazy, post something.

    By Blogger Javier Aldabalde, at 2:08 PM  

  • I updated just for you, Javi.

    By Blogger Nick M., at 8:40 PM  

  • Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home