The Junk Food of Writing

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I thought I was too old to have obsessions.

My triumphant return to college/Boston will occur tomorrow, Monday. I stopped working and promptly started packing last Saturday. Since then I have been in some strange, transitory phase both physically and psychologically. I am prepared to leave, but I must stay for a week. I'm glad this week, which I've so sorely wallowed through, has finally come to an end (I had my wisdom teeth pulled to keep me busy, it seems). I've been arduously fighting off ennui, like always, with film, literature and music; I'd lead a completely insignificant life without them. Over the past week, I have fallen in love with a novel and a music video (that covers both film and music, correct?).

The novel is Virginia Woolf's delicate, yet tough,
To the Lighthouse (more on that in my 'summer reading recap,' which should appear here in the near future). I discovered the music video --a medium I usually feel indifferent towards because the music occasionally clashes with the imagery in a negative way-- while browsing youtube in my boredom. The video is for Belle and Sebastian's catchy/meloncholy (of course, it's Belle and Sebastian) "Jonathon David."



How this video escaped me before, I have no idea -- but I'm very glad I did encounter it. It's my favorite contemporary band making a music video which closely resembles a French New Wave film (complete with jump cuts!).

Enjoy -- as I have many, many times. Does any particular film come to mind? I know one does. Take a wild guess.

4 Comments:

  • Ah, I love the treasures boredom digs out from YouTube!

    I started classes today (only stats and art history so far), but of course, we didn't do anything besides go over the syllabus.

    I would be enjoying this all much more if it wasn't so hot and if I didn't have such severe lower back pain (its origins are unknown).

    By Blogger Kathleen, at 3:51 PM  

  • Ha, loved the music video (but what a sad ending, though.) I want to see Band of Outsiders again now, but I really should be watching more Godard that I haven't seen.

    Also glad you have discovered To the Lighthouse, which I promise will continue to open up the more you read it. It really gives me chills, the way she writes in this book.

    Ah, the return to school. Classes don't begin here until September 11th, but I've been going to campus regularly because of ineffective, time-wasting administrational obligations. Most of the courses I want to take this year have to be pre-approved by the undergrad secretary of the department, as well as the course director. Needless to say, I've been dashing all around campus filling out forms and paying lip service. I'm at the end of my fucking tether.

    By Blogger Yaseen Ali, at 9:19 PM  

  • What's your excuse for arriving so late to the Lighthouse party? ;)

    I can never decide if it's my favorite book by Woolf. It always seems my favorite is that last one I read... and the last I (re)read was Lighthouse. So yeah, it's my favorite.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:56 PM  

  • You're never too old to have obsession! :P

    By Blogger Emma, at 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home