The Junk Food of Writing

Monday, August 21, 2006

More proof that God hates me (and the human race).

Why were wisdom teeth (and, after I think about it, an appendix) ever placed in the human body (namely, mine)?

Today, I will have my wisom teeth removed. I know it's a rather simple operation, but I am not comforted by the idea of an operation being done in the back of my mouth. My grandmother called me yesterday to wish me 'luck' during the operation. This, of course, struck some sort of mental --not dental-- nerve; why would she call to wish me luck if it wasn't a big deal? So, thanks to my well-intending granmother, I have a vision in my head which is somewhat similar to this cartoon I encountered:



I believe three of my wisom teeth are 'impacted' (I've avoided finding out what that means for my own mental health, because I don't think its good). I will, fortunately, be put to (temporary) sleep when they start sawing away (a friend, who had them moved in Spain, just had a shot or two of novocaine -- the horror!). Needless to say, I will probably be watching A Chipmunk Adventure for the whole week -- and I'll try to steer clear of Little Shop of Horrors and Timmy the Tooth.

Therefore, please share (audience participation!) your stories of painful jaws, applesauce and painkillers. I need them.

8 Comments:

  • You've probably already been through the ordeal, so words of encouragement are probably useless at this point. Nonetheless, last year I had an impacted tooth extracted, and the pain was restricted to some mild soreness afterward. What annoyed me most was having to avoid solid foods for two days.

    I actually liked the "operation"; it was so cool being able to feel the needles and saws etching into my gumline and yet suffer no pain.

    By Blogger Yaseen Ali, at 10:42 AM  

  • Ali, you're weird! (Should be taken as a compliment).

    Well, Nick, stop crying about your "impacted" teeth; I nearly died from the appendix fuck (don't know the name of the disease in English; don't want to know), and they were just about to remove the appendix from me when the pain suddenly stopped. It was excruciating, absolutely horrible pain, like having knives, scissors gnawing at your guts (not exaggerating...) , so yeah, um, it wasn't pretty.

    (I'm still convinced the appendix just blew up inside me. Seriously).

    PS: Was I scary enough? Hopefully you can take some contrast out of this :P

    By Blogger Javier Aldabalde, at 4:46 PM  

  • It isn't bad at all. I had all four of mine taken out and I was put under IV sedation. I must say it was the best sleep I ever had.

    The first day was the worst for me - the blood clot formation is nasty and uncomfortable. I took meds afterward which alleviated the pain. My face swelled up to a horrible size and peaked around three days after the surgery. I even had a bruise on the right side of my face from the "trauma."

    Overall, the swelling went away in a week and I spat out the final stitches a week after that. So, two weeks of awkwardness. The stitches aren't bad though.

    Oh, and the eating. And the salt rinse to prevent bacteria (your mouth will get noticeably foul-smelling). I ate yogurt, ice cream, bananas, mashed potatoes, and things like that.

    I slept more than I ever did the few days after the surgery because of the painkiller I was prescribed. It was called Compunox or something like that. My body would just get weak and I'd sleep all day - something I never do.

    By Blogger Kathleen, at 9:18 PM  

  • "yogurt, ice cream, bananas"

    Heaven!

    By Blogger Javier Aldabalde, at 10:29 PM  

  • I survived.

    Apparently, I healed quicker than the average patient -- or at least that is what I told my parents as I walked out the door to attend a concert in New York City only two days after the surgery.

    By Blogger Nick M., at 1:25 AM  

  • Haha, I knew you'd make it through!

    (I have to post here because I'm deeply afraid of the "Fat Girl" post, and of that movie in general).

    By Blogger Javier Aldabalde, at 12:02 PM  

  • Lol...

    By Blogger Emma, at 9:06 AM  

  • I found your blog while looking for a picture of a wisdom tooth to put on my blog. I'm getting one out tomorrow. How did it go?

    By Blogger Melissa, at 3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home